Microsoft has used words like “seamlessly” integrated when speaking about Dynamics 365 and SharePoint, and I have hated it since day one. CRM and SharePoint never seemed to get it right, and after a while I feel they just gave up. The current state of the integration is in most cases utterly useless.
The larger companies will require scalability and security. The integration has none of these in combination. The standard integration has absolutely no idea what security is, and therefore opens all documents for everyone with site access. In larger organizations they might want to separate the BU’s or even more granular access like team access in CRM. This is where you have to use 3rd party tools like Connecting Software. The second you start adding security to folders, you will hit the cap of 50k something unique permissions in a DocLib.
The smaller companies have the highest requirements in regards to simplicity. They expect it to be easy to drag/drop files, navigate a simple folder structure, merge documents from CRM that end up in the SP folder etc. In general the smaller companies are always benchmarking the CRM system against smaller collaboration solutions, and therefore expect simple usage. Again the standard isn’t enough.
Microsoft Teams, the new hope
So with the introduction of Teams + Dynamics integration, we might be somewhat closer to a solution for collaboration that could work. For the first time it makes sense to include others outside of Dynamics 365 to collaborate on the documents. A salesperson could now easily work together with others in the organization that don’t have the Dynamics license. I will show you how in a later blogpost.
Does this mean that we can use the word “seamless” in regards to integration? NOPE, but we are one step closer. My biggest concern is still that the product teams working on this seem to be forgetting to solve the simple features. When you merge a document out of Dynamics, it should be easy to put it back in to Dynamics (SP folder) where it belongs! We should need to have solutions like Documents Core Pack or Xperido for the simple templates.
Anyway. Stay tuned for the next blog when I show how cool the new integration with Teams is:)
There is something wrong with the BI content pack for Dynamics 365. It might be my setup, but this is what I have to do before demos to fix the connection problem. The issue is related to the content pack filters locked. So after completing the setup you will se an almost blank BI dataset. I haven’t figured out why, but figured out a way around.
I will go through the steps to fix the report and make it ready for demo.
If you can’t find the Dynamics tracking app in OWA you are not alone. It is simply not supported (yet). Not quite sure why. As you can see in the pictures below, I have one with the new OWA and the other with the old OWA
Don’t think this is normal, because I have not been able to reproduce the error since. I created a very simple flow on top of a few custom entities. I used both the Dynamics connector and the CDS connector while testing. When I was going to clean up my mess, I got an error when deleting.
That being said, when I tried to reproduce the flow SDK step, I was not able to. This meant that I was able to delete an entity with an active flow, and I would say that isn’t optimal either?
I tried removing the flow, but that didn’t help.
Had to add the SDK step, and then delete the step before it was ok.
I have tried reproducing the error, but not able to. Still don’t know how flow registered a plugin step in Dynamics, or why it didn’t remove it when trying to delete.
I installed Microsoft Marketing for the purpose of testing in our dev environment. My first irritation was the need of a separate portal just for marketing. I had to reset my customer self service portal just for marketing (fairly annoying). I have heard that this will change later this April, so hoping for the good news:)
PS! I also had to install VOC and I can’t really understand why I have to install this!
ANYWAY. If you wonder what the uninstall button does, here you go!
I started off opening the email I got when I installed the Dynamics 365 for Marketing and clicked the bottom link, and then “uninstall marketing from this org”.
Well that is nice. It all took about 2 minutes. Could it be true that it was that easy?
30 ish solutions and 1 portal reset later I was almost there!
Thank you VOC for creating dependencies that I simply can’t find.. Supportcase created.
This was far from smooth. Uninstalling the solutions way to long because Dynamics kept freezing (probably because of database locks).
Worst of all was probably that Voice Of Customer was installed and I can’t remove it without a support case.
Support called, and they found a dependency in the App for VOC that did not uninstall correctly. If you go into the default solution, and then remove the app step by step you can finally delete the VOC solution! For me that meant doing the ribbon first. Then the entities in the app, and finally the app. All the while publishing changes.